6 Weird Things About Zika That Don’t Add Up
By Daisy Luther
Anyone who is a regular reader knows that if there is a scary pandemic out there we should be worried about, I’m the head engineer on the worry train. (This book is front and center on my bookcase. Obviously, I spend a fair bit of time thinking about pandemics!)
There are many viruses that would wreak terrifying havoc if it were to spread, and since the beginning of this, I haven’t been convinced that Zika is one of them. The “cure” as officials race to “stop Zika” – that, I’m worried about. Predictions are that soon 1 in 4 Puerto Ricans will contract the virus. But is it really that big of a deal? Here are six reasons why I ask that question.
Here’s what we know about Zika.
Let’s examine what we know so far.
1 – Zika has been around for about 70 years. And up until recently, it was considered fairly benign. It was discovered in Uganda in 1947 but not considered to be at all serious. “Instances of Zika virus in humans arose every now and then, but cases were mostly in equatorial regions. The symptoms were also mild enough that it could be left alone until it clears within a week, just like any normal fever.” Symptoms last for up to a week and include: mild fever, skin rash, conjunctivitis, muscle and joint pain, malaise, and/or headache.
2 – The Rockefeller Foundation owns the patent for the Zika virus. Learn more about the Rockefeller link here. I find all of these connections with the Rockefeller Foundation and the Gates Foundation to be kinda sketchy, considering that both families are rumored to be proponents of massive population reduction. However, the Huffington Post says this is all just crazy talk.
googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1470694951173-5'); });
//tags-cdn.deployads.com/a/activistpost.com.js
(deployads = window.deployads || ).push({});